How Bristol Ballet Centre uses pupil information
It is essential in our primary function of providing classes to students that we are provided and allowed to process and store the following:
- Personal information (such as full name, address and date of birth)
- Attendance information (such as lessons attended, number of absences and absence reasons)
- Assessment information (such as examination results)
- Relevant medical information
- Parents' and pupils over the age of 16's contact details, including telephone number, emergency contact number and email address
Why we collect and use this information
We use the pupil data:
- to support pupil learning by making sure students are in the most suitable class for their age and ability
- to provide the right kind of pastoral care- such as making sure teachers are aware of any relevant medical conditions
- to allow us to make contact quickly in the case of emergencies (phone) or short notice changes to the timetable (text or email)
- to send out examination certificates and medals if they can't be collected in person (post)
- to comply with the law regarding data sharing
The lawful basis on which we use this information
We collect and use pupil information and parent contact information under a Contract basis for general purposes (as per Article 6, and Article 9, GDPR 25 May 2018).
Collecting pupil information
The majority of pupil and contact information you provide to us is essential (mandatory) for us to be able to continue running the school in an organised and safe manner. However, some of it is provided to us on a voluntary basis. In order to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation, we will let you know whether you need to provide certain pupil information to us or if you have a choice in this. Data received through registration forms is manually uploaded into our database software. Access to this is restricted through password protection and only available to Alexandra Sherman, School Principal, and Data Protection Officer (DPO).
Storing pupil data
We hold pupil data only for the time during which they attend Bristol Ballet Centre. When pupils leave classes, data is safely deleted or destroyed. The exception is Examination records, which we keep for two years, after which your data is anonymised and aggregated, with personal data destroyed.
Who we share pupil information with
Bristol Ballet Centre does not share data with third parties, however, there are some instances where sharing information is crucial to our business processes.
We routinely share pupil information with:
- The Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) – graded exams (name, date of birth and gender). Vocational exams (name, date of birth, height, gender, contact number)
- The Imperial Society of Teachers of Dance (ISTD) name, date of birth and gender
Why we share pupil information
We do not share information about our pupils with anyone without consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so.
How we keep your data secure
Data received through registration forms is manually uploaded into our database software. Access to this is restricted through password protection and only available to Miss Sherman. Pupil data is stored on the RADar database, which is owned and managed by Bristol Ballet Centre and contains the following information: Pupils’ name, date of birth, address, home telephone number (if given) mobile number, emergency contact number, names of parents/guardians, email address (of parents if pupils over 16 and pupils’ own if over 16) and classes attended. It provides us with a means of timetabling and running classes, invoicing term fees and producing registers as well as keeping student records digitally and securely.
Completed registration forms are filed securely and locked away, as are weekly class registers.
Bristol Ballet Centre use footage/photos used from shows, performances and classes for marketing purposes both in print media and the website (occasionally). Participants/their Parent and/or Guardians may choose if they do not wish themselves/their child to be depicted.
Bristol Ballet Centre regularly share photos/videos of students in workshops, events and performances through social media platforms including; Facebook and Email. These will never be shared with any identifying information (age, location etc.). There may be times where we will share first names, but only with the explicit consent of the parents.
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, parents and pupils have the right to check what information we hold about them. If at any time you want to see what personal information we hold about you, contact Miss A Sherman, the Data Protection Officer via email firstname.lastname@example.org or on 079760 774123/ 01179605844
You also have the right to:
- object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
- prevent us using your data in order to send you direct marketing
- in some circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and
- claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations
If you have a question or concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, please raise your concern with us first. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
If you would like to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact Miss A Sherman – details as above